IELTS Academic Writing Part 1:
The overall design of writing test
The writing test of IELTS academic comprises of two sections
Task 1: Analyse a Graph
Task 2: Write an Essay
The right approach to analyse the question
The first step is to understand the nature of the question. In task one you may either get a diagram or a graph. Your approach to write the answer would depend upon the nature of question.
There are certain steps which are common
Something increases / decreases / shows a fluctuating pattern
Which are the most important observation
- Any contrasting features – while a shows a rising patter, b shows a falling pattern,
- while a first increased and then decreased, b first increased and then decreased.
Steps to follow
- Analyse the question
- Make some rough notes
- Make sure you identify trends comparisons and highlights
- Write in brief (150 words)
- 20 minutes is the time in which you should try to finish this test.
- Don’t think too much while doing the test – write quickly
- Learn formats and use them
- Make a list of words to highlight trends comparisons and highlights and use them.
Here is a complete tutorial for you to download for learn and practice task 1.