Reading comprehension tests scare many people. Reason- reading as a skills is never taught in school. So the result is only a few students who are endowed with the natural liking for reading, develop this skill.
Here are a few tips to improve reading comprehension
- Focus on precision first then focus on speed
- Do a mock test to identify your areas of opportunities and strengths
- Skim to get the basic idea of the passage before reading it.
- Go through the questions to know what to focus on
- Identify keywords from the questions
- Look for synonyms for the keywords
- Do the easy questions first –> Words Based –> Line Based –> Paragraph Based –> Passage Based
- Practice using varied content taken from different sources
- Maintain a corrections log with strategies and best practices updated for each question where you went wrong
- Write annotations (short notes ) for each paragraph
- Practice STOP: Scope / Tone /Organization / Purpose
- Use process of elimination to get the right answer
- Give marks to the answers seem similar
- Pay attention to the tone of the question
- Read the first and last line of the passage first
- Pay attention to signpost words: But / However/Although/Moreover/ Furthermore/ Nevertheless/ Consequentially
- Practice with purpose: After every reading test make sure you update your corrections log with learning.